Learn the signs of autism
I hope this is a post that no one needs, but since autism is common today (1 in 88 children; 1 in 54 boys) I thought I would post a couple links. I have had 2 moms in the past week ask about autism. It probably isn't anything to worry about, but I always caution moms to take their concerns to their doctor and share specific examples. Early intervention is key with autism. EK did a lot of things appropriately when she was young, but there were a few things I wish I had known were "red flags". Things like sensory issues (chewing things, walking on toes, high pain tolerance, etc). EK was verbal (until 3 1/2) although some of her speech after 2-2 1/2 was echolalia...she repeated what we said. I didn't realize it until a professional pointed it out. On one hand, imitating what an adult says is the way they learn, but you don't want them to always imitate.
Learn the Signs of Autism
Developmental Milestones by Age: Look this over before your child's next doctor visit. If you have concerns about one, ask. It will also give you time to think of examples. I know the doctor catches me off guard sometimes and I think my child can't do something. We go home and my child does the exact thing the doctor asked! :) Not the worst thing, but this list will help you be prepared.
Between 18-24 months, your pediatrician should give the M-CHAT (whether you have concerns or not). This is the Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers. Here is a link to it, if your child is past that age and they haven't been given the M-CHAT. Click here. This screening will give you specific things to address with your pediatrician.
I, of course, am watching AK like a hawk. He is 13 1/2 months old. He is pointing, comes when I call his name, babbles all the time, loves to play and interact with his sisters and parents, etc. He isn't waving though or saying words. He has recently started saying "ma", which does not mean "mama", it means "more". The boy loves food! I don't think there is cause for me to worry right now. If closer to 15 months he still doesn't have a couple words, we'll look into it more.
Please let me know if you have questions! I would be honored to help where I can!
Learn the Signs of Autism
Developmental Milestones by Age: Look this over before your child's next doctor visit. If you have concerns about one, ask. It will also give you time to think of examples. I know the doctor catches me off guard sometimes and I think my child can't do something. We go home and my child does the exact thing the doctor asked! :) Not the worst thing, but this list will help you be prepared.
Between 18-24 months, your pediatrician should give the M-CHAT (whether you have concerns or not). This is the Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers. Here is a link to it, if your child is past that age and they haven't been given the M-CHAT. Click here. This screening will give you specific things to address with your pediatrician.
I, of course, am watching AK like a hawk. He is 13 1/2 months old. He is pointing, comes when I call his name, babbles all the time, loves to play and interact with his sisters and parents, etc. He isn't waving though or saying words. He has recently started saying "ma", which does not mean "mama", it means "more". The boy loves food! I don't think there is cause for me to worry right now. If closer to 15 months he still doesn't have a couple words, we'll look into it more.
Please let me know if you have questions! I would be honored to help where I can!
Thanks for posting this Melissa. I was concerned about Jonathan because he didn't say much until he was two. Apparently Jason did the same thing, and now I can't get either of them to shut up. ;o) You definitely have a ministry with this.
ReplyDelete