Getting out of the house....
So, we're on the 2nd week of no preschool. It sure makes our days a lot longer. My house is a mess and I can only run errands when Keith is home to watch the girls. I know we'll get through this week, but I feel for EK. She REALLY likes routine and the non-structure is driving her crazy. She doesn't know what to do with free time except to roam the house. I intentionally sit and play with her through out the day, but I can't do it non-stop.
Yesterday we went to the school playground to play and then I decided we'd run to Hobby Lobby just to see how she'd do. I had no purpose in going, other than to have EK practice being in public. Several months ago, I had to quit taking her places b/c she gets so upset. We loaded up the double stroller and walked around Hobby Lobby for 20 minutes. She did great!!! I was really pleased.
This morning I realized I was out of diapers so I thought we'd make a quick run to Target. I purposefully drove an extra 15 minutes to one that usually isn't crowded, hoping we could run in, get diapers, check out, and make it to the car without a fit. Well, we walked in and got on the other side of the checkout lines and she started yelling. I got her out of the stroller to hold her and it got worse. So we left....without diapers. AC was so confused when we got back to the car in less than 5 minutes. EK proceeded to scream for the next 20 minutes. Bless her heart, I really wish I could figure out what bothers her so much. Did someone look at her and make her nervous? Was it the lights? The noise? Too much clutter? I have no idea, but I do know that we won't be trying to visit Target again soon. :)
I'm planning to take them to a different playground in the morning before it gets too hot. EK will also have ABA therapy in the afternoon. Tomorrow will hopefully be a better day...one with less tantrums and more smiles! At least that's what I'm praying for!
Yesterday we went to the school playground to play and then I decided we'd run to Hobby Lobby just to see how she'd do. I had no purpose in going, other than to have EK practice being in public. Several months ago, I had to quit taking her places b/c she gets so upset. We loaded up the double stroller and walked around Hobby Lobby for 20 minutes. She did great!!! I was really pleased.
This morning I realized I was out of diapers so I thought we'd make a quick run to Target. I purposefully drove an extra 15 minutes to one that usually isn't crowded, hoping we could run in, get diapers, check out, and make it to the car without a fit. Well, we walked in and got on the other side of the checkout lines and she started yelling. I got her out of the stroller to hold her and it got worse. So we left....without diapers. AC was so confused when we got back to the car in less than 5 minutes. EK proceeded to scream for the next 20 minutes. Bless her heart, I really wish I could figure out what bothers her so much. Did someone look at her and make her nervous? Was it the lights? The noise? Too much clutter? I have no idea, but I do know that we won't be trying to visit Target again soon. :)
I'm planning to take them to a different playground in the morning before it gets too hot. EK will also have ABA therapy in the afternoon. Tomorrow will hopefully be a better day...one with less tantrums and more smiles! At least that's what I'm praying for!
Melissa, I really appreciate your honesty with this blog entry. Parenting really is the hardest endeavor I have taken...you are such a special mother. Both of your girls are learning so much from you. I am not referring to just the "stuff" that the books, pediatricians, specialist, and schools promote. I am referring to grace, humility, patience, sacrifice, persistence through adversity, the list goes on. I cannot begin to walk your journey through motherhood, but I can be inspired by your love and dedication to your girls. Please enjoy...I know that you are each day. Prayers for you.
ReplyDelete