Say it "nicely"
Ok, a little background...
In ABA therapy, they have been working on EK saying words appropriately instead of yelling/screaming them. I think it's a worthy goal, but it's been rather frustrating for her. She used to be rewarded regardless of HOW she said it, as long as she said the word. Now, she's only rewarded when she says it calmly or "nicely". In fact, I use the phrase, "Can you say it nicely?" to remind her that she can't yell it. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it causes a huge fit.
I also am saying the phrase frequently to my almost 2 year old, who has gotten quite an attitude lately. She is demanding more than asking for things. Here's an example of some conversations we've had in recent days.
AC: MOMMY! I NEED JUICE! (Can you hear the attitude?)
Me: I'm sorry. What did you say?
AC: I WANT JUICE!
Me: Can you say it nicely?
AC: nicely. (as sweet as can be)
AC totally thinks that I'm asking her to say "nicely" rather than to ask her request nicely or in a polite way. It cracks me up! Just a sweet memory that I want to remember in the future! :)
In ABA therapy, they have been working on EK saying words appropriately instead of yelling/screaming them. I think it's a worthy goal, but it's been rather frustrating for her. She used to be rewarded regardless of HOW she said it, as long as she said the word. Now, she's only rewarded when she says it calmly or "nicely". In fact, I use the phrase, "Can you say it nicely?" to remind her that she can't yell it. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it causes a huge fit.
I also am saying the phrase frequently to my almost 2 year old, who has gotten quite an attitude lately. She is demanding more than asking for things. Here's an example of some conversations we've had in recent days.
AC: MOMMY! I NEED JUICE! (Can you hear the attitude?)
Me: I'm sorry. What did you say?
AC: I WANT JUICE!
Me: Can you say it nicely?
AC: nicely. (as sweet as can be)
AC totally thinks that I'm asking her to say "nicely" rather than to ask her request nicely or in a polite way. It cracks me up! Just a sweet memory that I want to remember in the future! :)
Comments
Post a Comment