We made it!!!

EK finished her first week at ERE! :) Her teacher, Ms. Sharla, is very excited about the progress she's made this week. Everyday Ms. Sharla finds more things that EK likes or ways to work with her. EK loves the wagon right now, so they are using that as a reward for good behavior (being quiet at group time, good eye contact, talking when appropriate, doing her work). I got to observe (from the storage closet) this morning for about 30 minutes. I was really impressed how well-behaved she was during "group time" or what I might call "circle time" (singing songs, calendar, reading a book). She didn't participate a lot with talking/singing, but she also wasn't disruptive. The other students are verbal, which I'm thankful for. The more models, the better. After I left, she worked on her seatwork with Ms. Cecilia.

I think the last 3 mornings I've dropped her off, she's stopped crying before they get inside the building. They all ride in the wagon to go to the classroom.

When we pulled in the driveway after school today, she must have seen Keith's car because she said, "See Dad, Daddy." I love getting glimpes of how her little mind is working. I wish it was more often, but I have to be thankful for the little things, right?

ABA therapy wasn't as good as last week. I think the new change in routine has bothered her. Usually she enjoys being with Shana, but it took at least a half hour before she wasn't crying. For the past 2 months, we had 2 therapists during the week. Shana just did one day, while the newer girl did 2 days. We're now back to just Shana 3 days a week. I got spoiled a bit at the beginning b/c Shana has been doing in-home ABA for at least a couple years. She has lots of good ideas and is always quick to change the program if she sees it's not working. I'm happy that EK's program will be more consistent now that we're back to them same great therapist 3 days a week. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Awareness Day

3 days in a row...

3 months ago today...