Scared to go to bed
So, I'm in new territory as a mother. EK has never been scared of the dark. The girl can walk through the house in the middle of the night and not stumble over anything. She falls asleep pretty quickly and is out for the night.
Last week, AC started crying when I'd put her to bed. At first, I just thought she was trying to stay up later. But then she said, "I'm scared." and "It's scary in my room." What?? Where did this come from? There was one night where it was well past 10pm before I knew she was asleep. I got a nightlight for her room, hoping that would calm her fears. (Whatever a 2 year old knows to be afraid of!) It helped some, but she still doesn't like going to bed. I pray with her each night and tell her that she has no reason to be scared and that God will keep her safe. Do other 2 year olds go through this?
Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm not sure how to get past this issue!
Last week, AC started crying when I'd put her to bed. At first, I just thought she was trying to stay up later. But then she said, "I'm scared." and "It's scary in my room." What?? Where did this come from? There was one night where it was well past 10pm before I knew she was asleep. I got a nightlight for her room, hoping that would calm her fears. (Whatever a 2 year old knows to be afraid of!) It helped some, but she still doesn't like going to bed. I pray with her each night and tell her that she has no reason to be scared and that God will keep her safe. Do other 2 year olds go through this?
Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm not sure how to get past this issue!
I've been in your Mama shoes many a time, my Friend. It seems to come and go with Clayton. It is much, MUCH worse when he is overly tired or there has been a major change in our routine (after trips, after Drew was born, etc.). So... here are a few things that have worked for us:
ReplyDelete* putting him to bed earlier or giving him an extra nap
* Superhero PJ's - He said that they make him, "extra brave." Don't know if that would work for girls...
* Learning Psalm 56:3 "When I am afraid, I will trust in You."
* Giving him a flashlight to keep in his bed.
That's all that I can think of off the top of my head. It really has gone in cycles with Clayton. We just got over a rough go of it. So, I'm definitely not the expert. I'm anxious to see what others have to add. Hang in there - this too shall pass...
Hey there, friend. A is also scared of the dark and has been for some time. We have multiple night lights in her room and also keep the closet light on for her. It doesn't seem to bother her much anymore, but we do talk a lot about how the Lord is always with us and that we don't have to be afraid. Ps. 4:8 says "I will lie down and sleep in peace for you, alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety." We sing a song to this in preschool praise! I used to play it with several others on a CD for her at night. It was always the last song she heard. Love you!
ReplyDeleteThanks girls! I think AC would love the flashlight idea. Teaching her a new bible verse would be great anyway! I'll also try music. :) What good ideas!
ReplyDeleteLike Sarah said, I used to (and still do!) repeat over and over again "What time I am afraid, I will trust in Thee"... it really was calming to me.
ReplyDelete