Autism Awareness Month
April is considered Autism Awareness Month to many. 2 years ago, I didn't know much about autism. A year ago, we were right in the middle of learning EVERYTHING we could. I know it's been a learning experience for us, my family, and close friends. Each child with autism is so different- it's a wide spectrum from mild to severe. Some are verbal, others are not. Some have lots of sensory issues, others have ways of coping with their sensory issues. Some autistic kids are obsessed with one item/habit: lining up objects, shutting/opening doors constantly, only playing with one toy (sometimes the incorrect way: like spinning the wheels on a car).
I mentioned a couple months ago that I read a lot of books on autism. I'm still researching and reading what others are doing/have done, though not as intensely. My mom is always on the look-out for books/information as well. :)
Here's a list of some of the books I've read. As a disclaimer, I don't necessarily agree with everything each author has written. I enjoy reading what other parents have done to help their child in their journey...doesn't mean we're going to do it with EK and just because it helped their child, it doesn't mean it'll help EK get better. I constantly pray for wisdom and discernment. The books I'm posting are ones that I enjoyed reading and think they have a lot of information to share. :)
Personal stories:
Let Me Hear Your Voice by Catherine Maurice: EXCELLENT! (Lots of info on ABA therapy)
A Child's Journey out of Autism by Leeann Whiffen: really enjoyed it (info on biomedical and ABA therapy)
Facing Autism by Lynn Hamilton: this was one of the first books I read, given to me by a friend. Lynn is a believer and I enjoyed her christian perspective on her son's diagnosis with autism. (info on ABA therapy and biomedical)
Finding Your Child's Way on the Autism Spectrum by Dr. Laura Hendrickson: I'm halfway through this book, but appreciate that it's also written by a believer. She uses scripture throughout the book and really causes the reader to reflect on God's plan for their child.
Books written by therapists:
The Out-of-Sync Child and The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun by Carol Kranowitz: Both books are very helpful in addressing sensory issues. I didn't realize how crucial it is to meet kids' sensory needs and how some kids can get overloaded sensory-wise pretty quickly. Sensory issues can make trips to the grocery store or dinner at a restaurant a disaster...lights are too bright, too much noise, too crowded, a nasty odor, etc.
Overcoming Autism by Lynn Koegel: This one is written by a speech therapist. It had some great ideas on teaching kids with autism how to speak and interact with others. A book I will hopefully be able to come back to when EK starts talking again.
Biomedical:
Healing the New Childhood Epidemics by Dr. Kenneth Bock: This book has given me lots of information about different supplements and vitamins. Every couple months, I go back and re-read to be sure I haven't missed something. He's been treating kids with autism for several years now.
Healing our Autistic Children by Dr. Julie Buckley: I finished this a couple weeks ago. It's good...some similar stuff to Dr. Bock's book, but Dr. Buckley had a few different things. I like how she lays out what to expect at each visit. Wish I'd had that last April. :)
Special-needs Kids Eat Right by Judy Converse: This book was really interesting b/c it's written by a nutritionist. She breaks things down for a parent to understand but she also has a wealth of information and gives lots of scientific facts about why nutrition is important.
Autism and ADHD Diet by Barrie Silberberg: great resource for starting the GFCF diet!
I mentioned a couple months ago that I read a lot of books on autism. I'm still researching and reading what others are doing/have done, though not as intensely. My mom is always on the look-out for books/information as well. :)
Here's a list of some of the books I've read. As a disclaimer, I don't necessarily agree with everything each author has written. I enjoy reading what other parents have done to help their child in their journey...doesn't mean we're going to do it with EK and just because it helped their child, it doesn't mean it'll help EK get better. I constantly pray for wisdom and discernment. The books I'm posting are ones that I enjoyed reading and think they have a lot of information to share. :)
Personal stories:
Let Me Hear Your Voice by Catherine Maurice: EXCELLENT! (Lots of info on ABA therapy)
A Child's Journey out of Autism by Leeann Whiffen: really enjoyed it (info on biomedical and ABA therapy)
Facing Autism by Lynn Hamilton: this was one of the first books I read, given to me by a friend. Lynn is a believer and I enjoyed her christian perspective on her son's diagnosis with autism. (info on ABA therapy and biomedical)
Finding Your Child's Way on the Autism Spectrum by Dr. Laura Hendrickson: I'm halfway through this book, but appreciate that it's also written by a believer. She uses scripture throughout the book and really causes the reader to reflect on God's plan for their child.
Books written by therapists:
The Out-of-Sync Child and The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun by Carol Kranowitz: Both books are very helpful in addressing sensory issues. I didn't realize how crucial it is to meet kids' sensory needs and how some kids can get overloaded sensory-wise pretty quickly. Sensory issues can make trips to the grocery store or dinner at a restaurant a disaster...lights are too bright, too much noise, too crowded, a nasty odor, etc.
Overcoming Autism by Lynn Koegel: This one is written by a speech therapist. It had some great ideas on teaching kids with autism how to speak and interact with others. A book I will hopefully be able to come back to when EK starts talking again.
Biomedical:
Healing the New Childhood Epidemics by Dr. Kenneth Bock: This book has given me lots of information about different supplements and vitamins. Every couple months, I go back and re-read to be sure I haven't missed something. He's been treating kids with autism for several years now.
Healing our Autistic Children by Dr. Julie Buckley: I finished this a couple weeks ago. It's good...some similar stuff to Dr. Bock's book, but Dr. Buckley had a few different things. I like how she lays out what to expect at each visit. Wish I'd had that last April. :)
Special-needs Kids Eat Right by Judy Converse: This book was really interesting b/c it's written by a nutritionist. She breaks things down for a parent to understand but she also has a wealth of information and gives lots of scientific facts about why nutrition is important.
Autism and ADHD Diet by Barrie Silberberg: great resource for starting the GFCF diet!
The Kid-Friendly ADHD and Autism Cookbook: another great resource for implementing the GFCF diet! :)
Comments
Post a Comment