EK's progress...
I try to write what is going on every month b/c it all starts to blur together. I thought I had a good memory, but there are just too many details to keep up with.
Today a substitute, that filled in a couple weeks ago, was back. She couldn't get over how much EK has improved since the last time she was in the class. Granted, Ms. Sharla was out last time and this time the sub was filling in for a different teacher, but I think she has improved in a couple areas.
*EK has started babbling over the past couple weeks. There are no real words still, but we hear: ba, ma, da, and ah regularly. I'm waiting for her first real word to come! She is getting better about the PEC cards. We have a card for all her snacks and activities. In order for her to watch TV, she has to hand me the TV card. I then model for her "I want TV". She does great with PECS at snacktime at school too.
*She's having GREAT days at preschool. She hardly fusses at all anymore and really follows the routine well. (even when I took her late last week due to lost keys)
*She's ok with drawing now. I still have to do hand-over-hand with her, but at school she'll hold it independently for a little bit. Still just working on lines and circles.
*She recently started sorting 2 objects and scanning a field of objects to give the requested one.
*EK has made huge gains in parallel play with her 4th grade buddies. She sits on the floor and plays with at least 4 different buddies every Friday.
We continue to do speech therapy once a week. We're going to look into horse therapy...something Keith and EK could do together. We are taking a break from ABA therapy. There are several reasons, but the main one is that we've been doing it for a year and really haven't seen much progress from it. I liked her therapist, but I felt like EK just wasn't improving during ABA like she has at preschool. I'm going to continue working with EK in the afternoons and we may eventually hire a college student to come work/play with her too. I feel like we gave ABA a good try, a whole year. It's something we may try again and perhaps it'll click better down the road.
Today a substitute, that filled in a couple weeks ago, was back. She couldn't get over how much EK has improved since the last time she was in the class. Granted, Ms. Sharla was out last time and this time the sub was filling in for a different teacher, but I think she has improved in a couple areas.
*EK has started babbling over the past couple weeks. There are no real words still, but we hear: ba, ma, da, and ah regularly. I'm waiting for her first real word to come! She is getting better about the PEC cards. We have a card for all her snacks and activities. In order for her to watch TV, she has to hand me the TV card. I then model for her "I want TV". She does great with PECS at snacktime at school too.
*She's having GREAT days at preschool. She hardly fusses at all anymore and really follows the routine well. (even when I took her late last week due to lost keys)
*She's ok with drawing now. I still have to do hand-over-hand with her, but at school she'll hold it independently for a little bit. Still just working on lines and circles.
*She recently started sorting 2 objects and scanning a field of objects to give the requested one.
*EK has made huge gains in parallel play with her 4th grade buddies. She sits on the floor and plays with at least 4 different buddies every Friday.
We continue to do speech therapy once a week. We're going to look into horse therapy...something Keith and EK could do together. We are taking a break from ABA therapy. There are several reasons, but the main one is that we've been doing it for a year and really haven't seen much progress from it. I liked her therapist, but I felt like EK just wasn't improving during ABA like she has at preschool. I'm going to continue working with EK in the afternoons and we may eventually hire a college student to come work/play with her too. I feel like we gave ABA a good try, a whole year. It's something we may try again and perhaps it'll click better down the road.
Comments
Post a Comment