Being thankful
A few weeks ago, I sat in the lobby after taking EK back for her ABA session. As I was talking to a friend of mine, another mom mentioned that a group of parents (who all have a child with autism) were meeting at a local bakery. She said she was going to lead an activity that morning asking for each parent to tell something they were thankful for regarding autism. My gut reaction was "I'm not thankful for any part of autism. If I had the ability to change EK today, I would." I think that's what most of us would say, who are dealing daily with autism. One of my friends there had a much better response than I did. She said, "Autism has caused me to rely on God more than ever before." That's a really good answer!! Too bad it wasn't mine!
Thanksgiving is a time when most people reflect on the blessings in their lives. As christians, we should be thankful people all the time, not just at Thanksgiving. Keith has mentioned a couple times in the past few weeks "If we have nothing else to be thankful for, we can at least thank the Lord for our salvation." (That's my paraphrase, just in case I didn't get it exactly right.) As I have let that sentence soak in, I realize how true it is. Things we think we deserve or have a right to (a bigger house, pay raise, healthy kids) don't matter in the grand scheme. My salvation is enough.
Of course, there are a lot more things to be thankful for, even if I can't include autism right now.
Thanksgiving is a time when most people reflect on the blessings in their lives. As christians, we should be thankful people all the time, not just at Thanksgiving. Keith has mentioned a couple times in the past few weeks "If we have nothing else to be thankful for, we can at least thank the Lord for our salvation." (That's my paraphrase, just in case I didn't get it exactly right.) As I have let that sentence soak in, I realize how true it is. Things we think we deserve or have a right to (a bigger house, pay raise, healthy kids) don't matter in the grand scheme. My salvation is enough.
Of course, there are a lot more things to be thankful for, even if I can't include autism right now.
- my godly husband
- my 2 precious daughters
- Keith's job
- a roof over our heads/food on our table/clothes to wear
- great extended family
- cars that run
- our health
- our church family
- sweet friends
- EK's teachers/therapists
- living in an area where therapies/preschool/specialty stores are an available
- the beautiful weather we've had the past couple days
- strength and grace to get through each day
I know there are so many more things (big and little)! What are some things you're thankful for?
Comments
Post a Comment