Because of autism...
I wish I could say that I can completely see why the Lord has allowed EK's autism. There are days that I am content with the situation the Lord has put us in and then to be honest, there are days I still wish EK didn't have autism. Things are much harder because of it. Take, for instance, going to someone's home for dinner. No big deal, right? For us, it's HUGE! (One main reason we don't usually do it.) Not only do I need to take special food for EK (she's gluten, dairy, and egg free), but I have to follow her around the house to be sure she doesn't swipe food off someone else's plate. That girl can find a crumb of regular food. :) I also have to follow her around to be sure she doesn't ruin something. I also never know how she'll do at a new place. Will she be anxious and cry for a while? How long do we stay if she doesn't stop crying? Just a few things that stress me out before we even get there.
But, that's not what this post is supposed to be about...
I want to share some of the blessings we've experienced because of EK's diagnosis. First, I have met some of the neatest women who also have a child with autism. One of my closest friends is Amber. We met through a mutual friend last December and we usually talk daily. Not only does autism create a common bond...our faith in God brings us even closer. She has been such an encouragement to me from the day we met. I'm meeting another mom next week who's daughter is receiving ABA therapy at our center. She is also a believer, so I'm sure we'll hit it off right away. :) It's always nice to be around other women who truly understand. There are also several women I've connected with through e-mail who have shared their wealth of information. Like I've shared before, there is a TON of stuff out there, and it's been wonderful to have ladies I trust to learn from.
Another blessing will hopefully affect many families in a positive way. Keith has been working on his DMin. for several years and is going to write his discertation on special needs ministry in the church setting. His heart for this ministry has grown immensely because of EK. I know there are many christian families out there that will benefit from what our church plans to do to love on and care for kids with special needs and minister to their parents. I know of many families who aren't able to attend church because there's not a place for their child. This should not be!
Keith and I were invited to speak at a retreat in November for families that have kids with autism. While this is very intimidating to me, (I'm NOT a public speaker...perhaps I can sing my portion of the seminar??) I want to share with other families what I've learned so that I can hopefully encourage and equip parents in how to best help their child.
The Lord has taught me a lot about myself, like how selfish I am. I didn't think I was a selfish person, but when life took a turn I didn't expect, I wasn't ok with it. He's also taught me more about Himself, reminding me that He is all I need during difficult times. Truths that I've always known, but now need to make sure I'm putting into practice. My attitude still isn't always right, but I am thankful for the Lord's patience and grace as He grows me in sanctification.
But, that's not what this post is supposed to be about...
I want to share some of the blessings we've experienced because of EK's diagnosis. First, I have met some of the neatest women who also have a child with autism. One of my closest friends is Amber. We met through a mutual friend last December and we usually talk daily. Not only does autism create a common bond...our faith in God brings us even closer. She has been such an encouragement to me from the day we met. I'm meeting another mom next week who's daughter is receiving ABA therapy at our center. She is also a believer, so I'm sure we'll hit it off right away. :) It's always nice to be around other women who truly understand. There are also several women I've connected with through e-mail who have shared their wealth of information. Like I've shared before, there is a TON of stuff out there, and it's been wonderful to have ladies I trust to learn from.
Another blessing will hopefully affect many families in a positive way. Keith has been working on his DMin. for several years and is going to write his discertation on special needs ministry in the church setting. His heart for this ministry has grown immensely because of EK. I know there are many christian families out there that will benefit from what our church plans to do to love on and care for kids with special needs and minister to their parents. I know of many families who aren't able to attend church because there's not a place for their child. This should not be!
Keith and I were invited to speak at a retreat in November for families that have kids with autism. While this is very intimidating to me, (I'm NOT a public speaker...perhaps I can sing my portion of the seminar??) I want to share with other families what I've learned so that I can hopefully encourage and equip parents in how to best help their child.
The Lord has taught me a lot about myself, like how selfish I am. I didn't think I was a selfish person, but when life took a turn I didn't expect, I wasn't ok with it. He's also taught me more about Himself, reminding me that He is all I need during difficult times. Truths that I've always known, but now need to make sure I'm putting into practice. My attitude still isn't always right, but I am thankful for the Lord's patience and grace as He grows me in sanctification.
This brought tears to my eyes, Melissa. God is continuing a mighty work in your family & in the family of FBC as we pray for you & walk alongside you in this unexpected journey. Love each one of you very much!
ReplyDelete