EK and the metal spacer

I wrote last week about how EK was having some major GI issues. I called our pediatrician yesterday and asked for an appointment. I just wanted to be sure we weren't missing something like strep or some other reason for her to not be drinking. (She will only take a sip of any drink offered. Very strange for her.) After an exam (checking throat, nose, ears and listening to her tummy), he thought the best course of action was to have an x-ray done. He wanted to see if the metal dental spacer was stuck in her somewhere and causing the constipation and other issues. So, we left the office and drove over to the radiology lab. They were very sweet (I did give them a heads up that she is non-verbal and has severe autism. People tend to be more patient rather than just thinking she's an undisciplined child.) and we got 2 x-rays done. Our doctor's office was already closed when we finished up so they told me I wouldn't hear anything until today.
The nurse called this morning to tell me that there was "no foreign object located". I guess that's good news (b/c I'm not sure what the protocol would have been to get it out had it been in there) but it was also discouraging to me since she's having problems. She said that we needed to focus on getting her to drink more fluids, which in turn would end her constipation. I told her I would call in a few days to report how things were going. I'm praying she will start drinking more. I have been giving her lots of fruit, in hopes that some of the juice in it will help. She drank two sips from a straw today, so I may switch to a cup with a straw for a few days. Anything I can do to have her drink.
I'm still leary about getting another spacer. I know we need to so there is room for the permanent tooth in a few years, but the fact that the dentist just re-cemented it less than a week before, makes me nervous. How long will the new one stay in? (Although I will say that the one we just lost lasted almost a year before it came out. And I thought it was great that he recemented it the beginning of August when he was doing other work. She grinds her teeth constantly which I know can loosen the cement, but I don't know how to make her stop. She doesn't understand the command "Stop grinding your teeth" and she dislikes the chewy tube I keep offering her. I am open to any suggestions.)
So, it looks like more dental work will be in our future. :( I am thinking about trying to replace the spacer with mild sedation rather than IV anesthesia. Need to do more research to make the best decision I can to try and help my girl. Seems like I am always doing more research...
Pray that I can get EK to drink more in the coming days!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Awareness Day

3 days in a row...

3 months ago today...