St. George, UT
I have shared some pictures of where we are for July. It's a beautiful town. The landscape around is so different from anything I've ever lived in (Of course, I've only lived in upstate NY: Binghamton and Houghton and then Texas), that it constantly amazes me. I think at least once a day, "Wow, God made some beautiful scenery". It's hot, super hot! Don't let my 66 degrees picture fool you. That was because we drove an hour and a half north to the mountains. Here in SG we are in the desert. It typically gets up to 105-110 this time of year. Yeah, not the best time of year to come. :)
I have been googling things to do here. There are a few things you must know about SG, if you don't already know.
I have been googling things to do here. There are a few things you must know about SG, if you don't already know.
- It was founded as a cotton mission in 1861 by Brigham Young, President of the LDS church, as a means to become self-sufficient. It didn't work out as they hoped, so cotton farming was eventually abandoned.
- In April 1877, the LDS Church completed the St. George Utah Temple. It is the Church's third temple, and, currently, its longest continually operating temple.
According to Glenmary Research Centre, religious statistics is as follows:[33]
- LDS - 92.5%
- Catholic - 4.1%
- Protestant - 2.8%
- Other - 0.5%
**(This information was taken off wikipedia.com)So, when I began looking for fun things to do with the kids, here were some of the top ten things that tripadviser.com suggests:#1: St. George Temple, #4 Brigham Young Winter Home Historical Site, #5 St. George Tabernacle, and #7 Jacob Hamblin Home (someone from the LDS church).When driving around, you will see an LDS ward every couple blocks. I have never seen so many in one town. Sheltered, I know. Don't worry, we are not converting to the LDS faith. :)While they are nice people, they don't believe the Bible is sufficient (all we need) and without error.
Pray for our church plant here and those that are sharing the gospel message. It's a difficult area to minister in but God is bigger and has the power to change hearts and minds. I know our friends covet your prayers! This week, we are doing a baseball clinic in hopes of reaching some families with the good news of Jesus. Several families from FBC Keller are here to help with the clinic and a couple families from a church in CA are here as well. Pray for boys and girls to come the next couple days (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday). While learning about baseball will be fun, pray most that after hearing the gospel, the Lord would convict them of sin and convince them of the truth of the Bible.
Comments
Post a Comment