Speech Therapy
About a month ago, we decided to try private speech therapy again. We had done it about a year ago, but quit because EK had 2 different therapists. She LOVED her Friday therapist, but had trouble with her Monday therapist. The Friday therapist only worked in Grapevine on Fridays or we would've switched to her for both days. I didn't think it was practical to drive to Allen (a 60+ minute drive) just to have Ms. Nicole.
EK is doing so much better in school, anxiety-wise. She hardly cries during the 3 hour day. She's even done pretty well with subs in the room lately. We thought this was a good time to add in some extra speech, especially since her lack of speech is our greatest concern.
Well, we did her evaluation back in February and started a 30 minute session the week after. Today was our fourth session. After last week's session, I really thought we were going to have to discontinue therapy. She threw a fit/was upset almost the whole time. It's hard as a parent (and as a former teacher) to not be able to control your child. Classroom management for 20 2nd graders was a cake walk compared to my 4 year old. A lot of her fit was because of anxiety and change, but some is just stubborness. You can't reason with her though. She doesn't understand that we're just there for a little bit and that she could actually have fun.
I'm happy to say that today's session was SO much better. I'm very thankful for Ms. Ann ,who is willing to try new things to make it easier on EK. We spent the whole time in a room like a small gym (lots of mats, a tunnel to crawl through, a swing, room to play with a ball, etc). Half the battle is trying to get her body less tense. One of the OT's (and owner of Therapedia) sat in today to give ideas. I've always known that in order to get her to comply, you need to meet her sensory needs. Pressure is HUGE for her! Although there was still some crying today, there was a lot less! Progress people, progress! :)
No real words lately, but we're working on using the picture cards for requesting. She's picked up quickly on the TV card, since she loves to watch shows. She's also starting to get the idea of bubbles and fritos at home. At school they give her a choice at snacktime with the picture cards. I just want her to have a desire to make choices. If she cares enough, perhaps the words will start coming. One can hope, right?
On a totally different note, I have to say how proud I am of AC! She goes with us to therapy each week. She's great at modeling what we want EK to do and she helps the therapist and me (like when EK throws something or when I needed something from my purse)! I'm thankful that she's easy going and doesn't complain. :)
EK is doing so much better in school, anxiety-wise. She hardly cries during the 3 hour day. She's even done pretty well with subs in the room lately. We thought this was a good time to add in some extra speech, especially since her lack of speech is our greatest concern.
Well, we did her evaluation back in February and started a 30 minute session the week after. Today was our fourth session. After last week's session, I really thought we were going to have to discontinue therapy. She threw a fit/was upset almost the whole time. It's hard as a parent (and as a former teacher) to not be able to control your child. Classroom management for 20 2nd graders was a cake walk compared to my 4 year old. A lot of her fit was because of anxiety and change, but some is just stubborness. You can't reason with her though. She doesn't understand that we're just there for a little bit and that she could actually have fun.
I'm happy to say that today's session was SO much better. I'm very thankful for Ms. Ann ,who is willing to try new things to make it easier on EK. We spent the whole time in a room like a small gym (lots of mats, a tunnel to crawl through, a swing, room to play with a ball, etc). Half the battle is trying to get her body less tense. One of the OT's (and owner of Therapedia) sat in today to give ideas. I've always known that in order to get her to comply, you need to meet her sensory needs. Pressure is HUGE for her! Although there was still some crying today, there was a lot less! Progress people, progress! :)
No real words lately, but we're working on using the picture cards for requesting. She's picked up quickly on the TV card, since she loves to watch shows. She's also starting to get the idea of bubbles and fritos at home. At school they give her a choice at snacktime with the picture cards. I just want her to have a desire to make choices. If she cares enough, perhaps the words will start coming. One can hope, right?
On a totally different note, I have to say how proud I am of AC! She goes with us to therapy each week. She's great at modeling what we want EK to do and she helps the therapist and me (like when EK throws something or when I needed something from my purse)! I'm thankful that she's easy going and doesn't complain. :)
Comments
Post a Comment