Trip to Mississippi

Since EK had spring break last week, I told Keith it was a good time to visit his parents. The last time we had all been as a family was May 2008. Sad, huh? I know that sounds horrible, but EK has regressed so much since that last visit. She has a hard time (putting it lightly) with change, so leaving our house for more than a day or two is difficult. It takes almost a full day (9 hours) to get to MS, so that's 2 days of driving right there. Anyway, I decided we needed to go out there. Keith's parents love her, even if she's throwing a fit the whole time (which she didn't).
**Just to clarify, we do see them more than that b/c they come out to see us a couple times a year. **

I don't have any pictures from the trip b/c I forgot my camera (among a couple other things...). You can visualize what most of the 3 days looked like...Keith driving, me riding shotgun, and the girls in the back in their carseats watching movies! ;) EK is completely content in the car. I think it's a safe place to her, especially since we are all there with her. It's comfortable and she likes the movement of the car. That's a praise since 9 hours would seem like an eternity if she hated car rides.

We got there around 5:15pm (our best time ever!). It took EK about 30 minutes to settle down. She was ready for bed around 7:30pm. She slept well until around 2am when I heard her up. I went in to try and settle her back down...I think she fell back asleep around 4am. UGH! AC slept pretty well too, but she didn't want to sleep in the crib. Am I the only one that doesn't sleep as well with a little one beside you? I was worried that she's fall off the other side of the bed.

Friday was a beautiful day...sunny and warm. We stayed in the house most of the day. Keith hurt his back on Thursday when getting out of the car so he was trying to rest it most of the day. By afternoon, I was a little stir-crazy so we went outside to do bubbles and play. EK wandered around their big yard. (A couple acres is HUGE to us!) She loved it, but when she wanders, I wander after her. They don't have a fence and live on a busy highway, so I couldn't just watch her from afar. She doesn't always listen when you call her name. After about an hour outside, I was tired! AC entertained herself by playing with the stones in their driveway. She told Grandma she was making a "happy face". It kept her occupied for a long time. She was disappointed when I said we had to go in.

I did take some of EK's toys. I think she liked having some of her familiar things there, plus we got to work a little too. :) She never fussed when I asked her to sit and play.

We came home Saturday. Again, the girls did well. We only stopped a couple times, to grab food and gasoline. EK doesn't do well in restaurants so we did drive-through and ate on the go. We had some rain and even some snow when driving through Louisiana. The snow in Texas didn't start until after we got home. Yes, you non-Texans read that right, SNOW! We only got a dusting but it was still on the ground when we left for church Sunday morning. This is the craziest winter I've ever experienced in my 11 years of living here! :)

I'm glad we were able to go see Keith's parents. I know it meant a lot to them, even if it was a short visit! Hoping that EK will do even better the next time we go! :)

Comments

  1. I'm glad you guys were able to get out of town for a while!!! I know it is much needed at times!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so thankful that the trip was such a success! I thought about y'all and said a little prayer that all was well. :) I know that it blessed Keith's parents' hearts for you to make the trip. I can only imagine how much they enjoyed seeing the girls...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Awareness Day

3 days in a row...

3 months ago today...